The record breaking superstar, Katy Perry, has just released the video for the 8th and final single to be lifted from her ridiculously successful album, Teenage Dream: The Complete Confection. It’s strange, but, even though her 3D film ‘Katy Perry: A Part Of Me’ will be in the cinemas soon, Swide are so sad to see this chapter of her career close that we feel the need to share why you love this woman with you…
Katy Perry in Dolce&Gabbana on the cover of L'UOMO Vogue
1) This just landed on the desk at Swide HQ, the August issue of L’UOMO Vogue where we can see the lovely lady wearing pieces from Dolce&Gabbana’s Men’s FW12/13 range. Doing it for both the girls and the boys, Perry has gone all Spanish matador on us, topping it off with a hairstyle that is in keeping with the theme of the shoot (if not resembling Carrie Fisher’s iconic hairstyle from Starwars). We’ve seen the star experiment with her look since she burst on to the scene in 2008 and so it is nice to see that she is as eccentric as ever.
2) This brings me on to another comment on the appearance of miss Perry, her love of wigs! Wigs, wigs and more wigs! It’s definitely a case of the bolder, the brighter, the better. Some of our favourite looks have been when she’s matched the colour of her wig with her dress.
3) Katy Perry is always thinking about others. This is one songstress with a massive to-do list and a new item has just been added to it; to launch her own record label. She told THR, ‘I’m preparing for it now and when this record label does come to fruition, I’m going to try and avoid things that take away any fighting chance for an artist to have financial success’. Wow! So, she’ll be the one turning a lot of teenage dreams in to reality. The record label remains unnamed, any suggestions?
Katy Perry as Kathy Beth Terry
4) She may be used as media fodder but Perry always tries to leave her personal problems in the green room, when she goes on stage. On the British TV program, ‘The Graham Norton Show’, while discussing personal problems and the ‘California Dreams Tour’, she said, ‘I love being on stage and, even though I went through some pretty tough times last year, I had to separate that because I know that my problems are my problems, they are not the audiences, they are here to see a show and to be entertained. So, I put myself on that lift, I smacked a smile on my face and went up (on stage), with my tits spinning’. <3
5) Talking of her spinning appendages, many of Katy’s male (and female) fans have been wondering just how much they’ll be seeing in 3D with the release of her docu-style film ‘Katy Perry: Part Of Me’. Not only will this film be a hit for fans of her music, her style, her as a role model, but it will also go down well with those of us who find the record breaking hit maker rather tasty. Like we said, she’s always thinking about others.
6) We all love laughter and Katy certainly knows how to laugh at herself… and those around her.
7) They say that you know you’re famous when you have a look-a-like and, here in the office, we love to take inspiration from her. Also, apparently, she isn’t afraid of public transport. We all went crazy when we saw Rihanna, casually taking the tube across London, to her concert (amazing PR stunt). Imagine how excited we got when these photos emerged: Rihanna plus Katy Perry, having a tea party on the tube?? Ok, sadly this wasn’t the real deal but it must be humbling to know that your fame spins off such amazing look-a-likes. Katy’s also got quite a few drag-a-likes, too.
Katy Perry in Dolce&Gabbana doing matador-chic in L'UOMO Vogue
8) Apparently, one of the tests that popstars have to pass, in order to get accepted into the inner circle, is to perform wearing a nude bodysuit. Well, perfect Perry can tick that off her list. During the MuchMusic Video Awards, Katy performed her new single ‘Wide Awake’ and the climax of the performance saw her transform in to a beautiful butterfly, complete with a nude bodysuit. She has now joined the likes of Jennifer Lopez and Britney Spears, who have both used the look, whilst getting jiggly on stage.
9) Record wise, she is successful as Michael Jackson, whose album ‘Bad’ also had 5 number one Billboard Hot 100 hits. This news hasn’t gone down too well in all musical circles but pfffff. It’s an amazing feat and one that continued with the re-release of the album as ‘Teenage Dream: The Complete Confection’, gaining another number one single. Will ‘Wide Awake’ do the same? We hope so!
10) Her love of all things bright, sweet and sugary, not forgetting cupcakes, have reminded us that having a sweet tooth isn’t always a bad thing. Her video for ‘California Gurls’ was a dentist’s nightmare but my god it took me back to my childhood. Gummy bears are still a favourite in the office and, damn, they taste good… all in moderation of course.
Katy Perry, we love you!
Here's the trailer to her film Katy Perry: Part Of Me
Written by Ben Taylor