Kate Middleton has taken the world by storm with her genuine smile, high street fashion and seemingly girl next-door looks. Here are more reasons why we at Swide love the Duchess.
Catherine, Kate, Middleton, now known as Catherine the Duchess of Cambridge has been seducing the world with her brown locks and genuine smile since her first appearances as a future royal bride in 2010. In the past two years, Kate’s reputation has gone from strength to strength, making her one of the most popular and influential royals in centuries, despite having bagged herself William, so many young girls’ prince charming pin-up. But as it is recorded on a famous coaster: keep calm, you can still marry Harry, and lets face it, he seems much more fun than his elder brother!
1. Kate is the modern day fairy tale princess. She never had to scrub floors like Cinderella, but the trials of independent English schools and Scottish Universities are no less grueling, trust me, I know.
2. Kate is a bourgeois girl, and she doesn’t intend to forget it. Famously, she did her own make up on her wedding day, albeit she had a priceless McQueen Gown designed and her wedding day was a national holiday. Kate was also spotted doing her own shopping at the local Waitrose after having moved into her first marital home in Wales, admittedly, she may not have used coupons, but she did push her own shopping cart.
3.The Duchess is patriotic through and through. She waved her Union Jack with as much gusto as the next Brit while attending the Olympics, maybe more, as one day people will waves the flags for her.
4. And now onto her fashion: Kate demonstrates her love and support for Cool Britannia by wearing almost exclusively British designers for her official engagements. From bespoke Christopher Kane, to Erdem and of course her go-to designer for important events, Sarah Burton at McQueen, Kate is the new advertising billboard for that famous London fashion.
5. The Duchess, who shares a secretary with her husband, has her own maid and hairdresser does not have a stylist, and sometimes, this is obvious: her rare, yet noticeable fashion faux pas endear her to the public and the fashionistas all the same, perhaps less so to the Queen, who reportedly requested that Kate’s hemlines become a little longer in the future.
6. Kate has almost single handedly brought to the fore a little thing called the fascinator: a small hat, made of feathers, flowers and ribbons which is held in place with a head band or comb. These creations nowadays grace most events where a hat is required, all but Ascot, where the dress rules have been tightened and as of 2012 these little pieces of millinery madness are not permitted.
7. Kate Middleton and the hight street: it’s been a long-standing love, much like hers and William’s. Kate’s taste and penny-pinching fashion extravaganzas see her stepping out in high street items, from charity visits to walk abouts with the Queen. From Zara, Hobbs, Whistles and Reiss have all been chosen by the Duchess, resulting in insane queues outside the stores by Kate wanna-be’s, and the almost instant sale out of these items. Thank you Duchess Kate for helping preserve the Jewel in the British Crown: the High Street!
8. The Duchess seems to be getting along well with her in laws. Having been practically eradicated from her party planning native bourgeois family, Kate is spending all her time with her Royal in-laws. It is reported that Camilla has become her confidante and teacher in all things royal. Kate also shares an enviable friendship with her brother in law, Harry, which has been shamelessly scrutinized by the British press.
9. Kate has a hard job to live up to, she has been credited, and pressured to become the new, young, and somewhat hip Royal to re kindle the love between the populous and the Monarchy; perhaps lost after the divorce and tragic demise of Princess Diana. Kate needs to be a more stable, yet equally enchanting consort. In her first years as a Royal, Kate seems to have managed perfectly.
10. Kate does not seem to mind that her sister Pippa nearly stole the show from her on her wedding day, well Pippa’s behind. At the end on the day, Kate knows that she will be Queen, and all Pippa has is a nice ass!
Written by: Valentina Zannoni