With the historical Roman themed natural disaster epic ‘Pompeii’ looming on the silver screen horizon, slave-turned-gladiator Kit Harington tells us how he achieved his buff body and killer abs for the part. He trained as a gladiator…
Get fit like Kit:
Train as a
Thanks to the abundance of superhero films, action flicks and basic need for man candy in Hollywood, there is always some handsome hunk putting themselves through the paces in order to achieve the body beautiful. This week, our focus is on HBO’s ‘Game Of Thrones’ hero Kit Harington, who stars in Paul W.S. Anderson’s natural disaster film ‘Pompeii’ and, quite rightly so, he has carved himself out a body that any arena fighter would be proud of. But how? Well, to become a real life gladiator, you have to train and think like one… this is how Kit became Milo…
The 27-year old Worcester, England, born lad has spoken about the importance of diet, saying how it was ‘70 percent diet and 30 percent working out’, something which Chris Hemsworth also spoke about when preparing to play the part of Thor, which you can read here.
But okay okay, you want to know what exercises he performed in order to achieve his Gladiator body? Well, it consisted of four-hour workouts that included two hours of fight training with weapons, an hour of weight lifting and an hour of cardio as well as an 1,800-calorie diet… ouch.
Kit told KansasCity.com that he “ hit the gym three times a day — an hour before set, lunchtime, get back to the gym for an hour, go back to set, at the end of day about 6, I do another training session from 6 ’til 7, go home, come back, start the whole thing at 5 in the morning, six days a week for four months.” Sounds like hard graft, but there’s more: as when he “wasn’t on set, I was in the training room learning the next fight. I was very proud of what we achieved by the end, but it was like doing a marathon.”
…and here is how one of his workouts would have looked like, taking one day of rest between each circuit:
SPARTACUS CIRCUIT 1
• Goblet Squat: 3 sets of 15 reps
• Plyo Kettlebell Pushups: 3 sets of 15 reps
• Alternating Renegade Row: 3 sets until failure
• Mountain Climbers: 3 sets, 1 min
• Crossover Reverse Lunge: 3 sets of 15 reps
• Dips – Triceps Version: 3 sets until failure
• Chin-Up: 3 sets until failure
• Rope Jumping: 3 sets, 1 min
SPARTACUS CIRCUIT 2
• Jump Squat (knees to chest):3 sets to failure
• Swiss Ball Sit-ups: 3 sets of 25 reps
• Dumbbell Push-ups: 3 sets of 10 reps
• Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure
• Reverse Lunge: 3 sets of 15 reps
• Medicine Ball Slam: 3 sets of 10 reps
• Swiss Ball Knee-in: 3 sets of 10 reps
• Close-Grip Push-up on Medicine Ball: 3 sets to failure
• Jump Rope: Until you drop!
SPARTACUS CIRCUIT 3
• Spiderman Pushup: 3 sets of 10 reps
• Split Squats: 3 sets of 10 reps
• V-Bar Pullup: 3 sets of 8 reps
• Front Plank Hold: 3 sets until failure
• Push-Ups With Feet Elevated: 3 sets until failure
• Turkish Get Up (alternating): 3 sets of 8 reps
• Frog Hops: 3 sets, 30 sec
• Burpees: 3 sets of 10 reps
The thought of it exhausts us too…he told KansasCity.com that he, ‘was lying on my back, and they were calling me to set, and I got up, and my legs buckled underneath me. Then I got up, and my legs buckled again. They called a doctor in, and I was physically exhausted. Medically, physically exhausted.’
Well, whatever he did, he sure looks good and we can’t wait to see more of him in abs… I mean action. Also it’s almost time to see him return as Jon Snow in the new series of HBO’s ‘Game Of Thrones’.
Pompeii is in cinemas Friday February 21st
Credits – KansasCity
Tagged with: #BRITISH ACTOR
Ed Skrein is the kind of guy that seems to make guys and girls go weak at the knees with as little as a look. But that’s not to say he’s just a good-looking guy. With a whole host of films in the pipeline, get to know the British actor a bit more with these 5 things.
Go Eddie Redmayne! He’s just been announced as an Oscar-Nominee, is fresh from winning a Golden Globe Award, is the latest Wachowski brother’s villain in Jupiter Ascending, and is the cover star of Interview Magazine, in which he is quizzed by none other than Jennifer Lawrence. This’ll be good!